macklemore-obama-1
Macklemore paid a visit to The White House on Thursday (May. 12), sitting down with President Barack Obama for a candid conversation on opioid abuse in the United States. The Grammy Award-winning rapper joined the POTUS in his weekly address released this weekend, bringing awareness to the epidemic and offering solutions such as working with local law enforcement and citing a provision in Obamacare that requires health care coverage include treatment.
I’m here with President Obama because I take this personally,” says Macklemore during the address. “I abused prescription drugs and battled addiction. If I hadn’t gotten the help I needed when I needed it, I might not be here today.”

The PSA comes months after the Obama administration proposed $1.1 billion to be put aside for “new mandatory funding over two years to expand access to treatment for prescription drug abuse and heroin use.” Macklemore’s sit down with Obama is a part of a one-hour documentary set to air this summer on MTV.