danny mcbride vice principals
HBO may have pulled the plug on Eastbound & Down a few years ago, but Danny McBride’s Kenny Powers-style comedy is set to live on in the network’s upcoming series, Vice Principals. Created by the brains behind Eastbound & Down, the series centers around Neal Gamby (McBride) and Lee Russell (Walton Goggins), two rival vice principals gunning for North Jackson High School’s top job. Only the whole concept of “friendly competition” goes straight out the window.
Also starring Georgia King, Busy Philipps, Shea Whigham, Kimberly Hebert Gregory and Sheaun McKinney, Vice Principals debuts on HBO this July.

Fun fact: the first two episodes of Vice Principals were screened during SXSW last week, and they feature a cameo from the legend himself, Bill Murray. The story behind his involvement is pretty amazing (via Decider):
“We were getting on the plane to fly back to Los Angeles, I just hear someone say my name, and I look over, and Bill was sitting right next to us on the plane that he was flying, by chance,” McBride recalled.
“He took us to see P.F. Chang’s in the Atlanta airport,” he said. “He was just selling us hard on Charleston. He loves it. He lives there. So we came back to shoot there, we were trying to figure out who was going to be Principal Welles, and I was like, ‘Maybe we can try Bill and see if he’d be up for it.’ So I sent him an email. Didn’t know really if he’d respond to it or not, asking him if he’d be interested in checking out the script. He kind of responded — ‘Please deliver me a hard copy at the RiverDogs baseball game tonight.’”
Murray serves as “Director of Fun” as an owner of the Charleston RiverDogs, the Class A affiliate of the New York Yankees.
And McBride famously played Kenny Powers, a baseball pitcher who bounces around the minor leagues in both Carolinas and Mexico in HBO’s Eastbound and Down.
“Alright, alright, we’re in play,” McBride recalled. “I got one of those metal briefcases that people make cocaine deals with, and put the script in there. We came to the RiverDogs game and walked up to his box. I saw there was this commotion. There were people up there. I thought I saw a camera. What is this? You know. And there’s a person standing there with a clipboard, and they’re like, ‘We need to get you mic’d up.’ ‘Mic’d up? What the f**k is this?!’ They put a mic on me and walked me out. It was Bill was out there filming his episode of Anthony Bourdain’s show.”
“I went there, we made the drop-off,” McBride said. “He wrote this really nice e-mail back. ‘I would be thrilled to play Principal Whats-his-name.’ And his only note was…”
Well, I wouldn’t dare spoil that for you.
But it was a great, hilarious note that pays off when you see the scene.