UPDATE: You can now read Kendrick’s full interview with GQ online. He talks about his relationship with Drake, Drizzy’s reaction to his “Control” verse, the time he had a vision of ‘Pac and hitting Diddy’s VMAs afterparty.
Check out quotes from Kendrick’s interview after the jump…

On bumping intro Drake at the VMAs, just days after “Control” dropped:
On the night of the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards, just as the heat over “Control” was peaking, I tailed Kendrick through the backstage maze at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center. At one point, he ran into Drake, and they wrapped each other up in a big hug. It was their first encounter since Kendrick called him out on “Control,” and of all the slaps in that verse, this one felt the most personal, because Drake had helped break Kendrick, handing the kid not just a verse but an entire song on his second album. After Drake’s VMA performance of “Hold On, We’re Going Home,” Kendrick made his way back to the greenroom, crooning the hook: I got my eyes on you…. He caught mine and smiled. “You watch,” he joked, “I’m going to be singing by my fifth album!”
On his relationship with Drake:
I asked if this meant things were cool between him and Drake. He paused. “Pretty cool.” Shrugs. “And I mean, I would be okay if we weren’t.”
On Drake’s wounded reaction to his “Control” verse:
“Yeah, I guess he took it as a dis,” Kendrick said, downplaying talk of a beef. But he was also clear that he doesn’t look up to Drake, doesn’t see him as any kind of creative influence. When I asked if Drake was a mentor or a role model, he replied quickly, “No—peer. If anything. We all peers.”
On having a vision of 2Pac:
“I was coming from a late studio session, sleeping on Mom’s couch. I’m 26 now—it wasn’t that long ago. I remember being tired, tripping from the studio, lying down, and falling into a deep sleep and seeing a vision of Pac talking to me. Weirdest shit ever. I’m not huge on superstition and all that shit. That’s what made it so crazy. It can make you go nuts. Hearing somebody that you looked up to for years saying, ‘Don’t let the music die.’ Hearing it clear as day. Clear as day. Like he’s right there. Just a silhouette.”
On hitting Diddy’s VMA afterparty:
Kendrick spoke up. “We have to go.” “Look at you! We have to go. You’re never we have to go.” “You know me,” Kendrick explained. “I only go when there’s a point. Usually the point is just niggas drinking. But walking through the club the week after I released the ‘Control’ verse? That’s a point!”
“It was all love at that party,” he told me on the private jet.